P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.

My sisters husband just told her he wants a divorce. They

My sister's husband just told her he wants a divorce. They live in Ohio. His reasoning is that he has not been in love with her for 7 months. They have been married for 18 months. He has a drinking problem and refuses to try counseling to reconcile their marriage. What does she need to do? Does she have to file for legal separation first or can she just file for divorce? Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
She can file for divorce. There is not a "waiting period" or separation requriement in OH.

Now, a divorce can either be contested or not contested.

Uncontested; Now the fastest, (and by far the least expensive) way to get a divorce is if you can agree on the terms. If you can agree on "who gets what" there is not a need for attorneys...this will cut the costs to a very small amount (court fees)

Contested; if you can not agree, this is a contested divorce. To proceed you need an attorney or need to act as your own attorney (very bad idea). Here the parties present evidence to the court on "who gets what" and the court decides. This take longer and involves attorney fees for both sides.

SO if she agrees to the terms, this can be relativly easy and not cost much at all.

The costs escalate when they can not agree and they need to hire an attorney to "fight it out"

If they can agree, I would recommend a "kit" like this one

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (3) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises; (4) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.