How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31566
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

HI there- we have a 17 year old who wont follow rules, is

Resolved Question:

HI there- we have a 17 year old who won't follow rules, is disrespectful, gets contantly in trouble and has caused enough emotional stress and anxiety in the household. We have another child who is autistic and 8 years old. We are considering moving the teenager to a friends house paying her room, food and support until she finishes highschool (3 months from now). She will turn 18 in October and we are currently in March -- school finishes in June. What is our exposure if we move her out of the house before she finishes highschool? are we supposed to care for her until 18 or when she is done with highschool? We are currently in California .. pls advise
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.

In California, the age of majority is 18 years except an unmarried child who has attained the age of 18 years, is a full-time high school student, and who is not self-supporting, is considered a minor until the time the child completes the 12th grade or attains the age of 19 years, whichever occurs first.


The parents or legal guardians of the child are responsible for the child until that age is reached. This includes providing the essentials - clothes, food etc. - plus financial support.


If you allow her to live with someone else, you're still responsible for the child.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Ok yes we are fine with the legal guardian part but are we liable in any way if we allow her to live with someone else? Again we will still provide for her, food, clothes, medical etc .. we just want her out of the house to avoid further conflict.


So even when she finishes highschool in June we are still responsible for her until she turns 18 in October right? or only when she is done with highschool? we are not sure what she will do as of today she doesn't want to do anything - helping with chores, school barely, not qualifying for college so she might try junior college, but she is not really responsible or engage in anything at all .. only trouble unfortunately

Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.

Yes, you are still legally responsible for her even if she is living with someone else. You are liable if she doesn't go to school, gets in trouble, etc.


Yes, you're responsible for her until age 18.



Roger and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions