Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney - represented hundreds of clients in criminal cases, family law disputes, traffic issues, and general legal issues. Youth Court Prosecutor.

My husband beat me up on Friday, I had him arrested on Saturday.

Customer Question

My husband beat me up on Friday, I had him arrested on Saturday. We had a joint account with over $10,000. in it. Everything in that account but $200.00 was transfered into his parents bank account. He has a checking and savings account in his name but I am on a loan with him that has the same account number. Can I leagally transfer money from his account to mine, since everything in our joint account is gone?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Hello -

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation, but I don't have good news for you.

If the checking account is in his name and you are not an authorized user of the account, it would be against the law for you to withdraw funds from it.

Hope this helps,

If my answer was helpful, please click ACCEPT so I may be compensated for my time. If you are not satisfied with the Answer, please feel free not to Accept, and post a follow up question so I may be able to clarify my Answer. My goal is to provide an outstanding Answer, so give me a chance.