Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Divorce Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney for over 15 years
5180018

I am getting a divorce and my husbsand is trying to get custodt

Customer Question

I am getting a divorce and my husbsand is trying to get custodt of my child. He filed for motion for issuance of rule NISI. What does that mean and do I have to prove him unfit to keep custody of my child?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 6 years ago.
Generally, a rule nisi is an order “to show cause” , meaning that the ruling is absolute unless the party to whom it applies can show cause why it should not apply. In divorce cases, a rule nisi is issued by the court to tell the parties that they have to wait a certain period of time before making their divorce final. This is to allow time for anyone who objects to the divorce to tell the court why they object. The rule nisi can often be set aside with mutual consent of the spouses. When the period expires, they can apply for the "decree absolute", which means the divorce is completed and the partners are no longer married. it is also called a decree nisi. Some states grant divorces using decrees nisi.