Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My mom just with in the past few months started receiving child

My mom just with in the past few months started receiving child support payments. She filed for them over 30 years ago and she died 2 years ago! Is this our money now? It was for my brother and I. He is on disability can I collect it for him?
Where are the payments coming from you? From your dad? or through the State of California Department of Child Support Services?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the payments are coming from, Depertment of Child Support Services California State Disbursement Unit, Sacramento
Thank you for the quick response.

Your question: My mom just with in the past few months started receiving child support payments. She filed for them over 30 years ago and she died 2 years ago! Is this our money now? It was for my brother and I. He is on disability can I collect it for him?

Response: The money is yours and your brother's. Your mother was just a fiduciary. To avoid any confusion, you need to inform Department of Child Support Services so that they can change the obligee's name from your mother to you and your brother. However, if you get a hard time trying to get the names changed, then leave it as is. But do try first to correct the record since your mother is now deceased.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I sorry, I forgot to add I am now 43 years old my brother is 46, does that have make a differeance?
It does not really make a difference since these are payments that your father should have made 30 years ago. In any event, your brother is disabled. So he would still be entitled to the support payments.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you very much! I truly appreciate your time. If I have trouble collecting from the state do you think I should imploy the services of a lawyer?

You should not have trouble collecting from the state. This is the money already collected from your father and the state is giving it to your mother on your behalf and on your brother's behalf. You do not need to retain an attorney for this.