Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

My soon to be ex and I hae had our pre trial conference w/the

My soon to be ex and I hae had our pre trial conference w/the court commissioner and the only item that is up for discussion is filing of the tax returns. My ex has $17,000 in ue w/out any taxes taken out and I feel I don't want to be part of the that tax burden - and I have 2 children that are in college and I worked all year - can I do the return as married filing single w/out getting in trouble w/the court - our final hearing is 3/29/10 and my ex will not give me any of the tax information that he has - he states that he will wait for the judge to make the decision. It was suggested for us to see and run scenarios out and bring into court
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 6 years ago.
My suggestion is to allow the court to decide this issue before you file. You still have plenty of time to file and can even get an extension if necessary.