Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

does split custody of 2 children reduce child support payments

Customer Question

does split custody of 2 children reduce child support payments? both parents work, but one is unemployed. the one unemployed is the one paying child support now. how are the payments calculated? they make about the same money when both work. what about day care expenses and insurance for the kids, how much does this come in to play. both will have 50/50 custody. does the man automatically pay more.they are not married
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 6 years ago.
In Ohio child support is based on the combined income of the parents. When one parent is unemployed and they did not intentionally caused their unemployment it could mean the other parent's support obligations could increase. Usually day care expenses are considered part of child support while insurance payments are treated separately. So if one parent is paying the insurance it can result in the other parent paying a little more to support to try to make the obligations as equal as possible.

How it is calculated depends on the following work-sheet for the state which you can review in the link below. It takes into account the percentage of time each parent has the child with them, each parents income (not just wages, but other sources of income are included) who makes the health care insurance. You will need to scroll down to the work sheet for split custody cases.

http://www.co.franklin.oh.us/commissioners/csea/pdf/CSX2-10.pdf

Please click accept, it is greatly appreciated. To request me for future questions, please begin your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

_______________________________________________

Please Note: My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. No part of this disclaimer can be copied or reproduced without the express consent of the owner [lawNinvest]. Thank you.