Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

My husbands parents used a different name on his Birth Certificate

My husband's parents used a different name on his Birth Certificate than he has used all his life. Now he wants to apply for his Social Security benefits and they won't accept his Birth Certificate as proof of identification. Does he have to legally change his name?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 6 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

What name do they have him under on SS card?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He has the name Jerry F (same last name) on his Social Security card.
Expert:  Ely replied 6 years ago.
So his SS card is the same as his birth certificate? Or not? Let's start over - assuming one last name is XXXXX XXXXX other is JONES, which have which of SS Card, DL license, US Passport, and Birth Cert?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Social Security card has Jerry F Vavla. DL has Jerry F Vavla. Birth Cert has a different first and middle name, but same last name. He has always gone by Jerry. In school, work, marriage cert.

Expert:  Ely replied 6 years ago.
Yep, he needs to change his name, or consolidate, more like it. Does he need instructions on how to do this?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We received instructions from the state. What does consolidate mean?
Expert:  Ely replied 6 years ago.
If he has, inadvertently, many variations of his name, he can make one name official via a PETITION TO CHANGE NAME OF ADULT. Same process as changing it overall. Just explain in the petition the circumstances of the change.

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up info.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ORANGE ACCEPT button for my answer. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work. Understand that when you put in your payment info, you still have not paid until you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at If you do this, make sure to being the question with “This Question is for Eli…”