TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

I have been paying maintenance monthly for 8 years and still

I have been paying maintenance monthly for 8 years and still doing so. But my ex-wife obtained a court order for the maintenance to be increased which I cannot afford. What are the consequences of failing to pay. I am self employed and I am a permanent residence and have lived in the USA since 2008.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

If you fail to pay your ex, then you’ll be in contempt of court and you’ll likely end up getting garnished, your bank accounts could be levied, she could get a lien on your property, etc. You’ll also need to explain to the judge why you failed to follow his order. If you truly can’t afford it, then you should attempt to have the maintenance reduced by filing a motion for modification, and providing a list of your expenses that justify the modification.

Have I satisfactorily addressed your concerns? If not, then please feel free to ask for clarification.

If the information that I provided is helpful, then please remember to click the green accept button so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time. Positive feedback is always appreciated as well. Thank you and good luck!

DISCLAIMER: Please be aware that only an attorney licensed in your state is authorized to advise you in legal matters, and that the limitations of this setting may prevent your legal issues from being thoroughly addressed. Accordingly, please understand that (1) by answering your question(s) I am not acting as your attorney, (2) my answer(s) should be construed as general information only, and (3) our discussion is not an adequate substitute for an in-person consultation with an attorney.