Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney

I am due to have a babygirl in 11 days and her father is in

I am due to have a babygirl in 11 days and her father is in jail at thenmoment for gross sexual assault to a minor under the age of 14 (his step daughter) and also gross sexual misconduct.........I did not find out this out untill a few months ago. I will put his name on the birth cerfificate because I do not want to deny my daughter the right to know him some day if she choses but I will also go for sole costody and do not want him apart of her life. What advise do you have and does he have rights to her with charges like this?

Dear JAGUEST-27084537 - As the father of your child he will have parental rights however those may be limited by the court based on his past record. There is no question that you will have custody and if he wants visitation he can apply through the courts and you would have the right to object or to at least request only supervised visitation.

He will also be responsible for child support until your child becomes and adult. Until he files for his parental rights he will have no power to do anything. Even if you don't put his name on the BC he could still apply for parental rights so it really doesn't matter unless you want to seek child support now.

Dave Kennett

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can I just put his name on the BC without him being there?
You can put any name on it or leave it blank as far as I know. - Dave