How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lawmoe Your Own Question
Lawmoe, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2415
Experience:  Family Law Lawyer for 19 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lawmoe is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

is it possible for my exwife to get my parental rights taken

This answer was rated:

is it possible for my exwife to get my parental rights taken away from me for having no cantact with my son?

Yes. A termination of parental rights may be based on abandonment. North Carolina Statutes § 7B-1111 provide the grounds for termination which include:

Abandonment or Extreme Parental Disinterest


Mental Illness or Deficiency

Alcohol or Drug Induced Incapacity

Failure of Reasonable Efforts

Abuse/Neglect or Loss of Rights of Another Child

Failure to Provide Support

Failure to Establish Paternity

Child Judged in Need of Services/Dependent

Child's Best Interest

Child in care 15 of 22 months (or less)

Felony assault of child or sibling

Murder/Manslaughter of sibling child


Customer: replied 7 years ago.
but i live in florida and work 7 days a week so contact is extremely hard

The reasons are not so important. The effort and the contact is. If your absence is protracted, you risk losing parental rights. Being a parent is viewed as a priority. Ultimately the decision is made based on what a court determines is best for the child.




Customer: replied 7 years ago.

if my rights are taken or volunteered as gettin to see him is an issue in itself am i still liable for support and all the stuff associated with it?


Ongoing child support is terminated. Any unpaid arrears are still owed.


Lawmoe and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions