Lawmoe, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Family Law Lawyer for 19 years

I want to stop receiving child support from my daughters biological

I want to stop receiving child support from my daughter's biological father, and eventually petition to have him removed from the birth certificate and have my husband adopt my daughter. We haven't heard from him in over 8 years and he only pays $35 a week. We just want him out of our lives. Putting it mildly, he's not a nice person. So how do I stop getting child support?

First, you must file a Petition to terminate his parental rights. One of the basis for a termination is abandonment. He must be served with the petition or, if you look for him and cannot locate him, you may seek alternative service which is usually publication. Only after rights are terminated can you proceed with adoption.

Frankly, it is a much easier process if you locate the other parent and they agree to the termination and the step parent adoption.

Please click ACCEPT below