Lawmoe, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Family Law Lawyer for 19 years

ok so does this mean that my requested retro active child support

ok so does this mean that my requested retro active child support could be grated even though it has been well over 4 year? I asked for retro child support from my ex from the time that he and I seperated and I had full custody of my children due to domestic violence and was told by the judge at the time that it was "not allowed" and that that they could retro it "from the time I origionally filed, not the time we seperated"...And what is up with him getting 50/50 with documented domestic violence??? Help!

struggling single mom

Generally, child support can be modified only retroactive to the date a motion or petition is filed. If there was no child support set, it is up to the court's discretion whether they will allow retroactive child support and, in most cases, it is limited to two years.

With regard to custody, such decisions are made based on what the court determines is in the child's best interests. the result often depends on how well the arguments areframed and made. That is why it is always wise to have counsel.