Familylaw Guru
Familylaw Guru, Attorney at Law, JD
Experience:  Experienced in divorce, child custody, child support, paternity issues, and parental rights.

My daughter is 18 years old and has found herself pregnant.

My daughter is 18 years old and has found herself pregnant. she states she does not know who the father is and wants to give the baby her maternal grandfathers last name. Is this legal, or does she have to give the baby her last name?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Familylaw Guru replied 6 years ago.
Where are you located, what state?
The short answer should you live in the United States is, yes this is entirely legal. You can give your child any last name you choose. She can just put unknown on the birth Cert for the father and then whatever it is she wants for the child's last name and it's done. I hope this helps. Please don't forget to accept as this is the only way we get credit for the work we do on Just Answer. Good luck and God bless.