Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

if a 17 year old in oklahoma has a baby and all but moves in

if a 17 year old in oklahoma has a baby and all but moves in with her boyfried (and baby's dad), does her father still have to pay her mother child support?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 6 years ago.

Child support is only required to be paid by a non-custodial parent. If the parents are living together - married or not - they are both considered custodial parents.

Even if this were not the case, the only way support can be collected is if the custodial parent files for child support. If they're living together, it is not likely that either of them would file for support.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No...I'm sorry if I wasn't daughter is 17. She had a baby last November and i found out from her 15 yo sister that she spends most of her time with her boyfriend and his family.

Am I required to continue paying her mother child support for her (the 17 year old)??

Expert:  Roger replied 6 years ago.

OK! Sorry for the misunderstanding.

In Oklahoma, having a child and moving out does not automatically emancipate a child. The only way a child can be emancipated is by court order IF the child petitions to be emancipated.

Therefore, you are still required to pay until she reaches 18 unless a court grants her emancipation rights. Even if a child is emancipated, a court can still require the parents to provide financial support until age 18.