How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31504
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

is it true that if your babies mother takes your child away

Resolved Question:

is it true that if your babies mother takes your child away and doesn't allow you to see him you can charge parentel kidnapping? even if you have not been recoginized ry the courts as the father and just signed the papers at birth?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.

It depends whether there is a court order setting out custody and visitation. If there is no court order restricting a parent's right to his/her child, either parent can take the child anywhere he/she wants to and it is not against the law.


However, if there is a custody order in place and the parent violates the order and refuses to return the child or runs off with the child, that parent can be charged with parental kidnapping.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
so she can sit in another state and not allow me to see my son even if she has gotten state aid from the state where my son was born?
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.

Yes, until you file a petition to establish custody and visitation. Once you get a court to set up timeframes for these matters, you'll have grounds to file contempt and other criminal charges (including parental kidnapping) if the court order is violated.

Roger and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you