Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

I consented to PFA order at the hearing because I wanted a

Customer Question

I consented to PFA order at the hearing because I wanted a peaceful resolution to a dispute. I agreed to a three month PFA. Later, my fiance had it vacated in twenty-nine days.

I was never told that signing a consent order, is a finding of abuse. Although I was told by my attorney that there will be no criminal record, I was not told about the damage to my reputation that a finding of abuse may cause. I feel that my chances of becoming an attorney now have been seriously hurt by pfa record, and that the barexaminers may find me morally unfit to practice law. Is there a way to fight this injustice at this point? Expungement?

Allegations of abuse were not proven. Attorneys insist that it's not a criminal record, yet my reputation is harmed by a temporary pfa. This happened in Blair County, Pennsylvania.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 7 years ago.
A PFA is a civil matter, so there is no expungement for this. It will not appear in a criminal record. Unfortunately, all you have as recourse is to provide an explanation of your situation to the bar examiners. I am sorry to be the bearer of such bad news.

Please click accept, it is greatly appreciated. To request me for future questions, please begin your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

_______________________________________________

Please Note: My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. No part of this disclaimer can be copied or reproduced without the express consent of the owner [lawNinvest]. Thank you.