JPEsq., Lawyer
Experience:  Published articles on family law, featured in several publications for successful trial work.

My Grandaughter 14 years old does not want to travel to Texas

My Grandaughter 14 years old does not want to travel to Texas from Kansas to meet her father as she does not like her father's 3rd wife. Can she be made to visit there. She is willing to meet her father where she lives to spend time with him
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JPEsq. replied 6 years ago.

Unless the Court Order is modified to say otherwise, it is the responsibility of the custodial parent (or guardian) to make sure the child gets to her visitation.

Although the child's wishes are one factor in determining the "best interests" of the child, the Courts do not give a 14 year old child absolute power to decide what is best for her. She might not want to go, but if the court has ordered it, she has to. If she doesn't, the custodial party can be held in contempt of court for not making her go.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
When the visitation conditions were agreed the father lived in Kansas but then moved to Texas. He wants to have my Grand daughter put on a plane with a ticket he purchases to take her to Dallas. Our fears are that the plane could be re routed due to mechanical or weather problems and the airline doe not provide a cabin crew member to protect her if this happens. Can my daughter be made to put her on the plane.
Expert:  JPEsq. replied 6 years ago.

That makes the issue more of a discretionary one. There is no cut and dried answer, but generally, you will not be in contempt for not making her go. You should file a Petition to Modify the order at some point though.

I can't give you a 100% answer, but generally, it is up to the parents to agree on something... you do not HAVE to put her on a plane.