LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.

my mother is seperated from her husband of 15-20 yrs..she is

Customer Question

my mother is seperated from her husband of 15-20 yrs..she is currently unable to care for herself (mentally)....the neighbor called me saying she was outside in her nightgown yelling at 1 am in the freezing weather. i went to retrive ehr last night ...but im concerned that the soon to be ex will remove her property or do something with her properties while she is in my care....and i dont know what to do about her mental and physical health if they are divorced and she is taken off of his insurance.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 years ago.
Good afternoon,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

Under the circumstances you should seriously consider applying to the court to become your mothers Legal Guardian. Absent that, there is really no way to prevent her husband form devastating her estate. You might also consider asking the court to order the husband to keep her on insurance until further order of the court.

If your mom is going to be living with you, get her permission to retrieve all of her personal belongings and either store them or keep them at your place.

I wish you and your family the best in 2010.

Thank you very much for having allowed me to assist you. It would be greatly appreciated if you would click the green Accept icon so that I can receive credit for having assisted you.

Best regards,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
can the court order "for the health insurance" be enforced after the divorce. and to become her guardian is that something i can do or do i need a representation.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 years ago.

Good evening,

Yes, health insurance can be ordered to be covered after the divorce.

You will need an attorney to assist you with petitioning for Guardianship. It can be a bit complicated.

I wish you well.