WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ, Lawyer
Experience:  10 years experience, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT LAWYER FOR FAMILY, IMMIGRATION AND CRIMINAL LAW
16356563

At mediation an arbitrary value was placed on the house (106,000)

At mediation an arbitrary value was placed on the house (106,000) All assets have been divided except the house. Based on the value at mediation spouse received $95,000 liquid assets. I received $52,000 liquid assets. The mediation agreement was that I pay an additional $30,000 from the value of the house. I intended to acquire a loan on the house(which is owned free and clear) and they required an assessment be made before a loan could be initiated. I was taken back to find out the property is now worth(because of this housing market) $80,000. As you can see the former agreement left her with $95,000 plus $30,000 or $125,000. It left me with $52,000 plus remaining equity in the house of $76,000 or $128,000 a fairly equitable split. But now the value of the house is $26,000 less than we thought. She hasn't received the $30,000 from me yet. Can I get rekief from this situation?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  WALLSTREETESQ replied 6 years ago.

If the settlement was Court ordered you can file a petiton to modify the agreement, it was smart for you not to pay the $30,000 and you would be able to change the amount owed to her for the depreciated value.

You should get an appraisal of the home, and state that the settlement is not fair due to the current housing market and it would be a financial hardship for you to pay her the agreed upon $30,000. Also, add that circumstances have significantly changed since the order was made.