Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
4460311

In Michigan one of the factors of determining alimony is as

In Michigan one of the factors of determining alimony is as follows:

Past Relations and Conduct of the Parties: The conduct or “fault” of the party during the marriage (such as infidelity or substance abuse) will be considered in deciding on spousal support, even though Michigan is a no-fault divorce state;

What type of activity would be considered to be fault? I can understand adultery where one married party is having sexual relations with another party ouside of the marrige, but what other types of activity would result in fault in under this provision? Please provide some examples.
Thank you for contacting our JA team for guidance.

Fault can be any number of things like one spouse did not make themselves available to the other during the marriage, intentionally or recklessly sabotaged the relationship in some way, was engaging in criminal activity, dissipation of assets of the marriage, gambling, drinking. These are the types of things a court can consider in determining whether spousal support is appropriate.

Please let me know if you need clarification.

Best regards XXXXX XXXXX

Tina G

___________________________________________________________________________________

Please press the green "accept" button so I may be credited and paid for my time when I have answered/clarified your question. Positive feedback and a bonus are always appreciated. Thank you very much.

NOTE: This open forum is for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. It is highly recommended that you seek representation by a local attorney for all legal matters. The state bar association can provide you with attorney referrals. Please remember that I cannot know what you know unless you tell me. There may be important factors that are relevant to your question that I am not aware of in your specific situation, but I will always do my best to be professional, courteous, and prompt.