Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...

Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

Ive been married for nine months and we are getting a divorce.

Ive been married for nine months and we are getting a divorce. We bought a house three months after we were married. However the house is under my husbands name. I had a condo that I bought before were married and it went into foreclosure the same month we bought the house. My credit was bad and we didnt want it to affect our loan. So we only put the houe under my husbands name.What are my rights at this time? Financially do I have any rights to the home I live in now? My husband makes 200k and I make 55k what are my rights in this divorce. Will I get any finan cial assistance?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 4 years ago.
With regards XXXXX XXXXX martial home, your husband is wrong. California is a community property states, which means that any purchase done during the marriage is considered community property, regardless of whose name appears on the deed. So you have 50% rights to the house purchased while you were married.

Given that your marriage is of short duration, the court does not generally award spousal support. The goal of the court will be to return both parties to their original position they were in before they got married. So unlikely you get alimony but if the house was purchased with income from the marriage, you would get 50% rights to the house as well as any other personal property that was purchased during the marriage and 50% of the debts unless you settle on different terms with your husband.

Please click accept, it is greatly appreciated. To request me for future questions, please begin your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

_______________________________________________

Please Note: My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. No part of this disclaimer can be copied or reproduced without the express consent of the owner [lawNinvest]. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience: Attorney & Certified Mediator
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. Yes, I figured I would not receive any spousal support which is fine. However before were married I bought a condo in 2006, and it went into foreclosure in 2009. When we bought the house 3 months after we were married on the loan papers my husband said he was not married so that he could get the loan on his own, and the foreclosure would not affect him for the house we are in now. I walked away from my condo and because since were married it was 50/50 right. Now that hes divorcing me its going to destroy me financially. My credit is ruined due to the foreclosure . So will that help me during the divorce?
Could you clarify on what would help you during the divorce? You mean having 50% of the house or asking for support?

Thanks