WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ, Lawyer
Experience:  10 years experience, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT LAWYER FOR FAMILY, IMMIGRATION AND CRIMINAL LAW
16356563

I am 70 and wife is 68. She does not qualify for SS on her

Customer Question

I am 70 and wife is 68. She does not qualify for SS on her own but receives based on my earnings. She receives a small state disability for which I had to pay to get her qualified for.I payed for all of her contributions for her IRA. She invested her income for all the years before I retired with me paying all expenses and taxes even on her income, all bought in her name only. Everything I bought was in both of our names including investments and sizable real estate purchases. Now I am retired with retirement ,SS and starting this year IRA distributions. She refuses to pay for any household expenses,property taxes. transportation related expenses and continues to invest her income in her name only. She refuses to permit me to cash or sell anything that is in both names.I have no debts but i am considering on making some kind of arrangement will not let her have access to my car, stopping her cell phone expenses, stopping all payments for nonessentials, including TV, alarm system phone
Category: Family Law
Expert:  WALLSTREETESQ replied 4 years ago.
Under the law all assets acquired during a marriage is jointly owned, so she could take you to court for access to the car, but not the other items. Also, all the assets she has including the investments in her name are half yours, but in a divorce you will have access to them. So in your situation, if divorce is out of the question, you can separate your income and expenses and have her pay for her own items.
WALLSTREETESQ, Lawyer
Experience: 10 years experience, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT LAWYER FOR FAMILY, IMMIGRATION AND CRIMINAL LAW
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

How can I make her help pay property taxes. Utilities. house and car repairs, food expenses? Or do I just not pay them also?

Thanks

You cannot make her pay for items she does not want to, if she does not pay she has to know that she may lose the home, and car. You could advise her that you will only pay your share of all the living expenses and she is liable for hers, and if she does not pay then she will go without.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Many thanks for verfing most of what I already thought.

good luck.