Lawdoctor, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 22 years of experience in numerous states.

my son is in prison and he wants medical records for the 2

Customer Question

my son is in prison and he wants medical records for the 2 boys, I took POA to doctor ofc and they said that was all needed, now today they called saying they need a copy of divorce papers before they give me the records and they might just send them to my son, but he has requested they be given to me, he signed papers for the doctors ofc. Can they have a copy of the divorce papers there are 8 pages?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lawdoctor replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you with your question.

Your question is very important to me, but please remember that I can only respond to the information you provide and I do not know your entire situation. My response is limited to what you have written to me and the answer may change with additional facts.

Also, due to site reasons, there are times I am initially only able to see a portion of post, so I apologize in advance if it means that you have to duplicate information.

There may be future facts that are as yet undetermined in your matter, that can and must leave some areas of information provided by me broad in nature. However, don't hesitate to ask for clarification if needed! At times, there can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break. Now, let’s address your question!

The doctor's office is being cautious due to HIPAA requirements for patient privacy. They want to make sure your son still has parental rights before they give out private information. This is actually a good thing because they are protecting your grandchildren's medical information. Look at it this way, when you use your credit card and the clerk asks for ID, that is good because they are protecting you against someone that may have stolen your card, same thing here, the doctor's office is protecting your grandchildren.

I wish you the best.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Good luck and Godspeed.

Have I satisfactorily addressed your concerns? If not, then please feel free to ask for clarification.
If I don’t’ answer immediately, I may be off line. If so, I will answer as soon as I come back. If I am online, I may be assisting someone else and will respond as soon as I can. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

If the information that I provided was helpful, then please remember to click the green accept button so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time. Positive feedback is always appreciated as well. Bonuses are gladly accepted. Thank you and good luck!

Please remember that we have not created an attorney-client relationship, and that my post is not intended to be specific legal advice. The answers given are limited to the information you have provided in your post. For specific legal advice, please consult with an attorney licensed in your state.

DISCLAIMER: Please understand that the complexities of most legal problems cannot be adequately addressed in this setting, and that I am only licensed to practice law in the states of Florida and Mississippi. Accordingly, you acknowledge (1) that we have not formed an attorney-client relationship, and (2) that my post is general information only and not specific legal advice.