Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator

My 16 year old daughter has been convicted of assaulting me.She

Customer Question

My 16 year old daughter has been convicted of assaulting me.She is court -ordered not to live with me and has a guardian ad lidon.How do I sign over my parental rights so that I don't have to have anything to do with her?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 6 years ago.
Sorry to hear what you are going through.

To answer your question unless your child is going to be adopted, you will be unable to voluntarily relinquish your parental rights. Which means you would need to petition the court to terminate your parental rights and let the court decide if this would be best for the child's best interests (not the parent's interests). The state does not like to leave children orphans or with a single parent, so you may have a challenge to get this petition granted. But for the court to consider your request you would need to petition for termination of parental rights, a voluntary relinquishment can't be done unless there is an adoption pending.

Please click accept, it is greatly appreciated. To request me for future questions, please begin your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

Please Note: My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. No part of this disclaimer can be copied or reproduced without the express consent of the owner [lawNinvest]. Thank you.