Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My daughters final divorce hearing will be Wednesday. So

My daughter's final divorce hearing will be Wednesday. So far, her husband has only had supervised visits with my granddaughter who is 2 1/2. He is trying to get her for weekend visits. He was both verbally and physically abusive to my daughter and drinks way too much. He even tested positive for alcohol at one of their court dates at 11:00 am on a Friday morning. He is a sociopath. Lies about everything, including having cancer, a son that was killed in a car accident, and professional baseball teams wanting to sign him. We also have a police report of him being drunk and abusive with a girlfriend about 5 months ago. He is currently living with his pregnant girlfriend and her 3 children ( ages 10, 5, and 2 1/2 ) in a two bedroom apartment. She is supposed to be a " positive influence" in his life. That's what his family said my daughter was 4 years ago and he started abusing her as soon as she married him. Help!!! What can we do to keep my granddaughter safe?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 7 years ago.

Response: You daughter should request that the Court keep the supervised visitation as is and not to allow weekend visits. Your daughter must tell the Court the reason for this request, just as you did here: his drinking problem, physical abuse, living arrangement--a two bedroom apartment with five people already not including your granddaughter. Your daughter needs to provide to the Court copies of all police reports and/or convictions regarding his drinking and domestic violence. The Court would make a decision based on what is in the best interests of your granddaughter.