InformationForYou
InformationForYou, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  18 years as a family law attorney, adjunct law professor
12569237

My husband and I lived together for over a year before we bought

Customer Question

My husband and I lived together for over a year before we bought our home, my income was used, however due to my defaulted student loan, we decided my name would not be on the deed.

We moved into our home in October 2002 together and got married May 2003. My husband is now trying to demand I move out of our house, since my name is XXXXX XXXXX the home deed and i have expresses being unhappy in the marriage.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  InformationForYou replied 7 years ago.

Unfortunately you could possibly be treated as a tenant as you are not on the deed (title) to the property. That means that he would have to give you formal written notice to vacate the premises, just as he would for any tenant who is on his property. If you have no lease with the tenant, it is likely a 30 day notice requirement (in writing) asking you to leave. If you refused, he could try to have you removed from the property or he could change the locks. I'm so sorry your husband is doing this or at least threatening to do this.

Good luck and please hit accept to give me credit for responding.