My husband and I are currently living in Brooklyn, New York

My husband and I are currently living in Brooklyn, New York in a co-op. The deed is in his name only, he has resided in the apt. since 1996 and the deed was signed over to him by his mother in 2004 I believe. We were married in 1990 and had to live apart for financial reasons and then family reasons. I moved back up to New York and into the apt. in 2007. He told me that he wouldn't put me on the deed until I lost weight. Well, I didn't lose weight and things went down from there. We don't share a "martial relationship" any longer but continue to live in the apt. as "room-mates". He has threatened me with throwing me out of the apt.. He pays the rent and I pay for everything else. The apt. needs to be completely redone and I am the only one with money who can pay to have this done.
What legal rights do I have to this apt? Can he throw me out without selling and splitting the profits? I need some sort of protection do I have any under the law?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  WALLSTREETESQ replied 6 years ago.
In NY CO-OPS have shares they do not have deeds, so he would have acquired shares in 2004, and from that date on you would have a 50% of the value of the co-op. Also, be aware in NY he cannot kick you out or do anything to not allow you to live their, as you are married and all property is marital property.If he does not support you financially you can take him to family court for spousal support and he would have to support you.