Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
18572087

long story short im 18. I was on my way out with my parents

long story short im 18. I was on my way out with my parents car when i was tapped from behind and hit a curb (theres a report) and the wheel got messed up

I made an agreement where there are witnesses that i would pay them some money every other check sincei still have to pay for my living. I paid 340 last check. THey expected some money this check but i said i would pay them every other one (and their are texts to prove it) I am in the national guard and my phone is the only way for my unit and my job at the jail to contact me. it was put in my moms husbands name when i was 17 and in boot camp but i paid every bill and for the phone. He turned it off because i didnt give them money this check but he turned it off when i got the month paid for and this is the only contact line i have with anything.
The car is in my grandmas name though and i was wondering would i continue to pay hin or my grandma since he wants to be a jerk and can i get anything for paying HIS phone bill for 8 mo
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your post.

Your comment was cut off. What is your question?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

since he always said its HIS phone and i pay the bill and he shut it off before due could i recieve my money back?

and since the car is in my grandmas name, and he went back on the agreement could i stop dealing with him and start with my grandma

I am a bit confused.

Who did you promise to pay money to, your parents?

Who turned off you phone?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i promised them every other check to pay the money. I paid last check so this check was to be mine for living expenses, my moms husband (who isnt my real dad) turned off the phone because i didnt pay him for the car this check. the phone was put in his name because i was 17 at the time but i have paid for the phoen and every bill. But he says its HIS phone
Thank you for your question.

If the phone is in his name, he does have the right and ability to turn it off or on. While unfair, that is HIS phone and not yours, and he therefore can do what he wishes with it. Since the phone was not part of the agreement between you too, he can choose to turn it off until you full pay him off, or until you get your phone that is not under his name.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 2/1/2010 at 2:49 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what about the car?
My apologies on not answering that question.

Since the car is in your grandmother's name, you can negotiate a fee structure with her over your step-father. That is completely within your rights, but it may end up upsetting your step-father to the point where he may choose to not reactive that phone. That, however, is your call.

Good luck.

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 2/1/2010 at 2:53 AM EST
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience: I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.