How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7280
Experience:  I have over a decade of experience as a Family Law litigator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do you divorce a federal inmate and what if the inmate

Customer Question

how do you divorce a federal inmate and what if the inmate contests the divorce or does not sign
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 7 years ago.

You would file a divorce as you would normally and then have it sent to the correctional facility in which he is housed for service. He would then have the option of representing himself or retaining private counsel. If he represents himself, he will be required to handle himself like any other litigant would. The one real exception is that he can't, of course, attend any court dates. Instead, arrangements would need to be made to have him appear by phone.

In some ways it is actually easier to divorce an inmate; he's easy to locate, he has nothing to do other than prepare for the case and he has little to no leverage in addressing any issues of the divorce.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
my question was not answered i asked if he contests then what
Expert:  Joseph replied 7 years ago.

Actually, I did answer that but I will try to be more clear....

If he contests, you would file motions, set hearings and possibly even have a trial, just as you would if he were NOT an inmate. The only difference, of course, is that he cannot appear in court as the federal system will NOT transport him for a civil matter. However, the court system can set it up to have him appear by phone.

I actually have a case right now where I'm doing this exact thing. I represent a mother and the father is in prison. Every hearing that we have, the judge's assistant sets it up to have the father appear by phone from his prison.

So, the procedure is quite similar to what it would be if he were not incarcerated, the only real difference is the inability to physically appear in court.

Additionally, as I indicated before, you should easily prevail on all issues as he is in no position to really argue for anything.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
are you saying i would win even if he does not sign
Expert:  Joseph replied 7 years ago.

Well, I don't know if I would go so far as to say you will "win" on all issues, I only mean to suggest that it's difficult for him to put forth any real argument.

For example, if you have children, he certainly can't argue for custody or even, for any practical purposes, visitation. Similarly, if you own a home, he can't argue for possession of the house as he is incarcerated. Not to mention it will be hard for him to 1) obtain evidence 2) subpoena witnesses or 3) present evidence. My point is that his current situation (being in prison) makes it really tough on him.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
we dont have any of those things i just want to know if i can divorce him regardless of what he wants without a fight can this be done
Expert:  Joseph replied 7 years ago.

Absolutely, he cannot PREVENT the divorce. Any person, whether incarcerated or not, can contest a divorce but it will ultimately happen.

So, go ahead and file for divorce, see how he responds, and then proceed accordingly, knowing that you WILL be able to obtain the divorce despite his incarceration.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
is there a time frame on this you said eventually
Expert:  Joseph replied 7 years ago.

It's difficult to state with certainty. If he does not contest, the divorce could be completed in a couple of months. If he does contest, it might last about a year, depending hugely on the judge's schedule. If I understand it correctly, you don't have kids or own a home, that certainly should help keep it short and simple.

Joseph and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Joseph replied 7 years ago.

I'm going off-line for the evening but feel free to respond, if necessary, and know that I'll be back on-line tomorrow.

Thank you for your patience.

Related Family Law Questions