NJ FamLaw
NJ FamLaw, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Admitted to NJ Bar
13312307

I have been recently granted exclusive rights to our home and

I have been recently granted exclusive rights to our home and temporary custody of our children with reasonable visitation. My soon to be ex husband is calling me daily and telling me he needs to come by and get more of his belongings from the house. There has been violence and rage on his part, and my children are afraid to sleep at night for fear he may come in. Does having exclusive rights to the house still allow him to come and go as he pleases?

Exclusive rights to the home means that it is yours to do with as you see fit. Exclusive rights includes the right to deny visitors (which is what he is by virtue of the order). As such, he cannot come and go as he pleases and only with your permission. You likely have to provide him reasonable opportunity on a limited basis to retrieve his possessions, but it sounds like you are being much more than reasonable and you are actually being taken advantage of as a continued part of his controlling behavior.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you. Would there be consequences to changing the locks on the doors at this point?

Not if you have been granted the exclusive rights to the home by the court, as you indicate. Again, the right to possess the property includes the right to restrict others from entering. If you change the locks and he does not like it, he can ask the judge to be granted a key for access. Good luck.