LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

How do I get my 17 year old son-(will be 18 Dec 17) legally

Customer Question

How do I get my 17 year old son-(will be 18 Dec 17) legally out of my house so I am no longer financially, physically, morrally, or legally responsible for him. I can no longer control him. As far as I know the Nebraska age of majority is 19 and there are no emancipaition laws for this state. I am divorced, have joint custody, (the mother wants nothing to do with this situation), but I am the custodial parent and the child lives with me and my new wife. Also, the child has a girlfriend of 14 whom we can not seperate, what are the legal ramifications to him when he turns 18?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 years ago.
Good afternoon,

What I am going to suggest will seem a bit extreme, but have you considered moving to another state, one with a age 18 emancipation law, and kicking him out of your home on the 18 of December?

It seems pretty clear that you will fail with petitioning the court to emancipate him---based on his inability to support himself.

When he turns 18, he can be prosecuted under the law as an adult--despite the fact that you still have to support him.

I wish you well.

Thank you very much for having allowed me to assist you. It would be greatly appreciated if you would click the green Accept icon so that I can receive credit for having assisted you.

Best regards,

Doug