Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
10707909

My son has been living with me since 2007 when his mother moved

My son has been living with me since 2007 when his mother moved to Florida. I was told that since his case was started in Washington and I live in Maryland by the way. I can get CS up until the time he turns 21.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 7 years ago.

hi

you are under Washington law as that is where the order originated and therefore, child support stops at age 18, unless an administrative order is in force and the child is full-time student expected to graduate before age 19.

in MD, the age of emancipation/majority is the same as Washington - 18, unless a child who has reached the age of eighteen and is enrolled in secondary school then they have the right to support from both parents until the age of 19 or until they are no longer enrolled, whichever occurs first

so unless there is something within your divorce degree it would end at age 19 the lastest.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
so there is nothing in the laws about support till he turns 21 and he is in collage now
Expert:  Samuel II replied 7 years ago.

hi

no. it is 19 - the only way it would be 21 is if there was a prior agreement and contained within the divorce agreement.