LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

Hello i was on Active duty military and i hired an attorney

Customer Question

Hello i was on Active duty military and i hired an attorney to file my divorce. My current husband was not in the state i was in and he never had to sign the papers for it to be legal. I was told that my divorce was finalized and i got married in June 26 2006, 2006. My divorce papers came to me dated 11 July 2006. I a no longer in the military. All of my identification is under my new married name and now i need a passport for a miltary move out of the country and need a updated social security card. What do i need to do? Please help me. I am so scared that i can be in trouble.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 years ago.
Good afternoon,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

You might consider applying for a new marriage license and getting married again (a quickie marriage) just to make it legal.

Everything should go smoothly after that. Technically you violated the law against being married to more than 1 person at a time---however that is almost never prosecuted. Just use your new marriage date from now on.

I wish you well.

Best regards,

Doug

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is there any kind of document i can get from a lawyer to make the marrage valid without getting married again? Also, are there going to be problems with my id's having my name as my new married name? How can you get remarried to the same person?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 years ago.
Good afternoon,

There is no document which will make your present marriage more valid than it is. However, your marriage is void under the laws of Kansas, so technically you are not married at all right now.

You could go through the process of getting an annulment based on the contention that the marriage is void, however that would take time and cost money. It will be easier to just apply for a new marriage license and get married.

Here is a site you can review for additional information:

http://www.paulpost.com/services/familyfaq.html#fam_2

I wish you well.

Best regards,

Doug

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I already knew that so this answer does not help me out.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 years ago.
Of course you did.