RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .

I have two ex-step children that I would like to get custody

I have two ex-step children that I would like to get custody of. I was married to their father and raise them for 10 years as the custodial parent. Their mother had visitation. Their father and I divorced 21 months ago. The children lived with me from March 2008 to June 2008 and at that time went to live with their Mother. Their father took his own life September 13th 2009. Even after the divorce I have still be allowed to have visitation with the children every other weekend and Wed nights. They are now 13 and 14 yrs old. Their mother has been very irresponsible with them. She is separated from her husband for a month now. She has been seeing a man for about 4 month who she has filed at least two police reports on for harassment and assault. On her weekend with the kids she is will take them to someones house for the night so that she can go out. Most of the time that is my oldest daughters house. Yesterday she brought them to me because her power had been turned off.
Thanks for your question.You could file custody suit here in Texas.You have significant connection to the children.You have facts to present both in support of you--kids want to live and against mother--her problems you describe.Certainly you can do this.I am giving you reference to the state bar lawyer referral.They can get you 1/2 hour consult here with local lawyer for $20.

Lawyer Referral Information Service

The State Bar of Texas Lawyer Referral Information Service helps connect lawyers with persons in counties where there is no local lawyer referral service. Participating lawyers have indicated the area(s) of law in which they can help clients, and in which counties.

Need a lawyer?

State Bar of Texas Certified Lawyer Referral Services

Name of LRS

Referral Line

Texas Legal Services Center

San Antonio Bar Association LRS

Plano Bar Association

Dallas Bar Association LRS

El Paso

El Paso Bar Association LRS

Harris County Bar Association

Harris County Criminal Lawyers

Houston Lawyer Referral Service, Inc.

(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr />713-237-9429

Jefferson County Bar Association LRS

Corpus Christi Bar Association LRS

Arlington Bar Association LRS

Tarrant County Bar Association LRS

Austin Tenant's Council

Central TX Lawyer Referral

State of Texas
(rural counties)

State Bar of Texas Lawyer Referral Info. Service

New Online Referrals!

If your county is not served by one of the local referral services above use our new online referral service!

Speak with a live representative

1-800-252-9690 or 1-877-9TEXBAR (Toll Free)

Hours of operation:
Monday through Friday
8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The call-in service is closed on legal holidays.

Here's how it works

Utilize the online referral service by clicking on the "Online Referrals" button above or call 1-800-252-9690 or 1-877-9TEXBAR(toll free). Your name, address and phone number will be required. You will be asked in which county you need a lawyer and to briefly state your problem. Remember, the information specialist is not a lawyer and cannot give legal advice.

You will be provided the name and phone number of an attorney if there is a match in the referral system. When you call the attorney to schedule a meeting, please inform them that you were referred by the State Bar of Texas.

Your first 30 minutes of legal consultation will cost $20. After the initial half-hour, you and the attorney may negotiate fees should you decide to authorize the lawyer to take action on your legal problem.

How to work with your lawyer and save money.

Any information given will be held in the strictest confidence.
(Please read disclaimer.)

Edited by RayAnswers on 12/1/2009 at 7:23 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If I can convience her to do it as the best thing for the children will it still require a suit or is it then just paperwork?
It woujld jsut be suit and agreed order here.Take about two minutes in front of the judge.But you would want lawyer to preapre and walk you by the judge for signature.IT's important because court might require her to pay support by law.