Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Divorce Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney for over 15 years
5180018

My husband may file for divorce (North Carolina). If he does,

My husband may file for divorce (North Carolina). If he does, I want to make it as painful and expensive as possible. We have been together for over 11 years, but only married for 4. He has been cheating for over 3 years. Assuming he files, what are my options to drag it out into the next millenium and cost him as much money as possible? Also, can I use the same attorney that he used for his last divorce?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 7 years ago.
There isn't anything special to do that delays a divorce. You just need to contest the issues he raise and not settle on any compromise offer. You basically are refusing to settle and want a trial that should take some time to get to. However, I give you a very large word of caution. It is common for a Judge to punish a party in a divorce that is delaying the divorce for no valid reason. If the Judge believes you are delaying the divorce the Judge can issue temporary orders against you that will affect your property, money and children if any as well as force you to pay part or all of his attorney fees.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the advice. What about using the same attorney that he used previously? Would I be allowed to do that, or would that be a conflict of interest?
Using his prior attorney will not delay the process. The attorney has to decide if he has a conflict with representing you and/or if he wants to represent you but that will not have much of an affect.