Attorney Wayne
Attorney Wayne, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Law Since 2000

I am the Grandmother. My Daughter has been caught shop lifting

I am the Grandmother. My Daughter has been caught shop lifting 3 times and the kids were with her. I am not happy with the case worker or supervisor trying very hard to close the case. I have also turned her in for food stamp abuse. The Boy's have been with us since the end of August. She hasn't supplied so much as a jar of miricle whip. I know that she sells her food stamps for 50 cents on the dollar. Also they have not had a stable enviroment in quite some time. Their Dad is in Prison. And she has done enough to be there also, she just hasn't been caught. I am on disability so I don't have a lot of money to fight legally...........Help
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney Wayne replied 6 years ago.
Hello. You are a wonderful grandmother to step into the breach. I do hope things will stabilize soon and you can then get your grandaughter the help she will need to work out the emotional conflicts that are evident.

But before then, I understand your need for legal assistance to get the system to do what its supposed so you can become her legal guardian.

From your description, it sounds as if your cash flow is limited to a modest pension. This may well qualify you for free or reduced rate legal services. If you tell where in Texas you are, I can provide referrals to agencies that provide such help in family law case.

I wish you and your family all best!

Attorney Wayne.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is my daughter that I am fighting for My Grandsons. She is on food stamps and does not even have medicaid on them........
Where in Texas would you be looking for free legal assistance?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Harris co.
Is Houston too far for you ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am in Houston
That's fortunate, because there are many services available there.

Here are links to several resources available in Houstan.

Lone Star Legal Aid:

Houston Volunteer Lawyers Program

There's also a statewide Family Law Hotline: Tel.(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr />
And a legal line for Houston that's staffed by volunteers on the first and third Wednesdays of each month from 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. Tel.(NNN) NNN-NNNN

I wish you and your family resolution of these legal issues and happy and healthful future!

Attorney Wayne

PS Please click "ACCEPT" if this provides useful information. Also, feedback is really important to us -- and the form is very very short. Thanks for taking a quick moment to fill it out.