P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
11181181

ihave been paying suport & arearage since 3/07. the boy turned

Customer Question

ihave been paying suport & arearage since 3/07. the boy turned 18 on7/08. up till 10/09,fsfc has still been dividing support/ arears on my payments.what can i do?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 5 years ago.
Can you tell me

1. Now that the child is an adult, has support requirements stopped...or will they continue since he is in school?

2. How much in arrears are you?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
support stopped 11/09. arrears is currently 4,785$
Thank you.

can you tell me your question...you want to know what to do about the state taking money from you to satisfy this amount $4,785?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i need to if the support i paid from 7/08 when the child turned 18 till 11/09 can be applied to the arrearage. i do not know if he is in school or not
Ahh...got it. Thanks

One more...do you have a copy of the court order that orders you to pay support?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes
Good

Can you tell me, what does it say for when support obligation will end...does it state the support until the age of majority (18) or does it say support can (will) continue while in school?
SO, if the support ends at 18, all the payments you have made since then would go towards the arrears. If the support continues while in school, then your payments would need to cover both

Read the order and determine if support will end at 18. Check to see if he is in school. Then you can go to the state agency and make sure they are giving you the proper accounting for the money you pay each month

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (3) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises; (4) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.