AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney

Are text messages from my children (in fear of their Mother)

Are text messages from my children (in fear of their Mother) and voice recordings of her tyraids, used in determining environment and custody?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

What follows may or may not be what you want to read. However, please do not shoot the messenger. While I can control the quality of an answer, my control over the content of an answer is restrained by the truth.

Evidence that a parent is violent or mistreats the children is typically heavily considered by a court when evaluating custody matters. Therefore, provided the evidence is admissible, it could be very important in establishing custody (and visitation).

It is important to save all of that information and present it to your attorney. He will then evaluate it to help you determine whether or not it's admissible. If it's not, he can help you determine whether or not there's a better way to go about showing that the children are in danger.

Please remember to click accept so that I will receive credit for my time and effort spent responding to your question. Bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

If you need additional clarification of this response, please ask a follow-up question and I will be happy to clarify.

Please click the green
Accept Button and leave Positive Feedback so that I receive credit for answering your question. Bonuses are always greatly appreciated. I do not receive any payment at all from JustAnswer unless you click accept.

Please remember: Feedback is left for me as an answerer. Please do not shoot the messenger. My control over the content of the answer is limited by the restraint of truth.

Disclaimer: By engaging in this correspondence, you agree to and understand the following:
No attorney-client relationship is formed through this correspondence. The following information provided for educational purposes only and is not legal advice/legal services. Correspondence through JustAnswer is visible to the public. T-USA is not familiar with your situation and could not possibly provide legal advice/legal services through JustAnswer. T-USA does not claim to be licensed to practice law in the state for which this information is provided. The information provided in this correspondence cannot and should not be relied on for legal purposes.
If you need legal advice/services you should seek a local attorney as soon as possible. You can find a local attorney at or

Edited by T-USA on 12/1/2009 at 3:12 PM EST