Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Divorce Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney for over 15 years

Custody case has been on going in one county. Have had several

Custody case has been on going in one county. Have had several modifications slowly granting father more rights. Mother has done much to obstruct the process. Mother just moved to the next county over. I would prefer to keep the case in the present county. Is there anything I must do to insure that we stay in the same venue? Both County court houses are within 20 minutes.
Generally the case will remain in the county inwhich it originates unless all parties have moved out of that county and all parties consent to the move. If it was easy to switch counties then people would just move around to "forum shop" until they find a judge they like.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I like you answer...just need some clarification....Both parties have moved into the neighboring county 1 block away for father and 3 miles away from county for mother. Father wishes to remain in original venue. I gather based on your reply that consent of both parties would be required before venue could be easily changed. Is this correct?

Yes. Generally consent would be required to change the venue. However, since all parties now live outside that county, if there is a new modification or court action, that new modification or court action would be filed in the new county and not the current county of this present pending action.