Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

Hi, I have a court date today in BX family court. The judge

Hi, I have a court date today in BX family court. The judge gave me a few months to comply with the child support order and I did. She also asked for me to bring a lawyer to the next court date, I have not, I just didnt have time. I have been working hard. I do not have paystubs and the financial net worth papers filled out and havent filed taxes for a few yrs. My bank account they had seized last year. So, I dont have a personal account. If my ex-wife wants me to go to jail, will I have to go?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

In order to avoid going to jail if you will want to convince the judge that you have complied to the best of your ability to her order. This would entail at the very least completing the financial net worth paperwork that is required. You can then explained to the judge that you had to choose between making payments to child support or retaining an attorney and you chose to pay your child support to the best of your ability.