Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.

My husband and I have recently separated... He has temporary

Customer Question

My husband and I have recently separated... He has temporary custody of our daughter. I am an alcoholic in recovery. I had 10months sobriety then relapsed. I am currently going back to AA (I stopped for about 2 weeks) I am also in counseling with a person who specializes in addictions and life coaching. We will be going to mediation to determine custoday of our daughter. I do have a lawyer but would like other advice.
The fact that I am an alcoholic has a HUGE strike against me. That and my ex has expensive attorneys. He is in total control here with this. He agrees that I will be able to talk to her and see her but any time I see her he thinks is too much. I am trying to not let feeling get in the way of this.

What else can I do to prove I am a fit parent? I do not want total custody. I am realistic.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

It appears that the best way for you to prove that you are a fit parent is to stay sober. Absent remaining sober, it appears that it will be impossible for you to prove you are a fit parent.