Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My document states that I pay child support till my daughter

My document states that I pay child support till my daughter is eighteen unless in secondary school in which case the support continues until the child is no longer in school or has reached the age of 20.

My question is, if she goes to college I'm still obligated to pay child support past her 18th birthday?

I want to just pay my daughter directly.

Thanks,

Greg
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 7 years ago.

Are you sure that your agreement says secondary school?

Usually the wording is either high school, college or vocational school?

What about school expenses?

Could you check the agreement and get back to me? I want to be sure that I am giving you the right information.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Nothing about paying for school or expenses.The wording is just like I wrote it. (secondary school)

Ok. Thank you for the clarification.

My question is, if she goes to college I'm still obligated to pay child support past her 18th birthday? I want to just pay my daughter directly.

Response: No, you would not be responsible since your agreement only says something about secondary school. You would have to notify the Court and Child Support Enforcement Agency if you wage is being garnished to stop the child support payments at that time. The system does not do it automatically. You have to let the Court know so that the support order can be terminated.