Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

In New Jersey, how long can a parent be away from a child before

In New Jersey, how long can a parent be away from a child before it is considered abandonment? My wife would like me to separate from her and the kids for 2 months.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.

NJ Statute 9:6-1

Abandonment of a child shall consist in any of the following acts by anyone having the custody or control of the child: (a) willfully forsaking a child; (b) failing to care for and keep the control and custody of a child so that the child shall be exposed to physical or moral risk without proper and sufficient protection; (c) failing to care for and keep the control and custody of a child so that the child shall be liable to be supported and maintained at the expense of the public, or by child caring societies or private persons not legally chargeable with its or their care, custody and control.

The general rule is 1 year, although no specific time frame is stated in the statute.