KimberlyLaw
KimberlyLaw, Lawyer and Real Estate Broker
Experience:  13 years of experience practicing law.
8989662

While I have joint custody of my child with my ex wife, she

While I have joint custody of my child with my ex wife, she has primary custody of our 3 1/2 year old son. In the last 18 months his weight has ballooned and he is now 10lbs over weight. Our pediatrician advised a diet, but my ex refuses to follow it and is not at all concerned about his weight. We have a history of diabetes in both our families and I am extremely concerned. What can I legally do to get her to restrict his diet and stop this health problem?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 7 years ago.
Hello, I am happy to answer your question.

The first step is to try to work with her. If she doesn't budge at all, you can also talk to your son directly. Maybe you can break through to him and help change his habits, regardless of what your x wife does.

If those things don't work, you can always go back to court and reopen the custody proceeding saying that there is a change of circumstances. You could use this as a reason to try to get full custody, or you can just ask the court to order her to adjust his eating patterns. I can honestly say that it might be a tough fight, because the court is typically worried about much more serious matters. But you never know.

I hope this helps,
Kimberly