Law Girl
Law Girl, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have a law practice that is largely dedicated to family law matters.
635143

Im married recently found out that my husband has a child

Customer Question

I'm married recently found out that my husband has a child outside the marriage who has just filed for child support if she is granted a judgement will i be able to file and reduce the amount she gets or is it a first come first serve.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Girl replied 7 years ago.
Is your husband still living with you and your child?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes he is and we have to children together
Expert:  Law Girl replied 7 years ago.

Given this scenario, it may be very difficult to get a court to order child support. In a situation where both parents live with the child, courts generally find that child support is not appropriate because the parents automatically support the child. If you were to file in this circumstances, it is possible that a judge may just look at this as an attempt to interfere in the other child's child support proceeding. You do not have to file for child support to get the court to acknowledge that he is supporting more than one child and to have that accounted for in the proceeding.

Please let me know if you have any other questions on this matter or require clarification. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT" so I may receive credit for my efforts.

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Any information provided is not the practice of law but intended to direct you in finding an attorney in your locale.

You can always request me with beginning your question with "For LawGirl..."