LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

Can I disown my 28 year old daughter and sever all legal t

Customer Question

Can I disown my 28 year old daughter and sever all legal ties?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 years ago.
Good afternoon,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

Yes, you can legally sever all ties with your daughter. You would need to write a will which specifically leaves her nothing. That will prevent her from challenging your will successfully. You can also demand that she cease contacting you and if she does not abide by your wishes, you can seek a protective order to prevent any harassment.

Please let me know if there is anything more I can assist you with.

Best regards,

Doug

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have a will that does leave her nothing, but the State of Alaska, will giver her $10,000 of my estate, no matter what, it's the law. I want to LEGALLY sever all ties. Is that possible?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 years ago.
Good afternoon,

I believe that you are mistaken as to the $10,000 figure. Alaska allows testators to leave their property to anyone they wish.

Who told you that she will get the 10K?

Best regards,

Doug

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Well it happened to me, my Mom left her entire estate to her grandkids, and the executor gave me a check for $10K and said that it was an Alaska Law.
I don't want my daughter to get a dime of my money.
Could I just leave her one dollar?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 years ago.
Good morning,

Did your mother try and specifically exclude you, or did she accidentally leave you out?

I can't prove to you that something does not exist. I can only show what does exist. I've looked through the Alaska code and not found anything which would prevent you from specifically not leaving your daughter anything ion your will---certainly nothing that would require you to leave her $10,000.

To be safe, you could leave her just one dollar though. That way she could not argue that you failed to provide for her.

I wish you well.

Best regards,

Doug

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes she specifically excluded me.
But I will just leave my daughter one dollar, just to be sure, however I would love to know if there is a way to legally disown her.
Thanks
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 years ago.
Good morning,

I have continued to search for anything in the current Alaska law that would prevent you from disinheriting your daughter, and I find nothing.

So long as you make it very clear in your will that you intend to specifically provide nothing from your estate to your daughter upon her death, then there is not reason that you need leave her anything. She is no longer a minor---which under certain circumstances might afford her some protection.

I wish you well.

It would be greatly appreciated if you would accept the answers I have provided for you so that I can receive credit for having helped you.

Have a great afternoon ahead,

Doug
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you very much.
Have a good day
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 years ago.
And you as well.

Doug