AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney

If my husband is living with another woman but we are not legally

If my husband is living with another woman but we are not legally separated do I have any rights. Are there any rights in Virginia for emotional infidelity?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. A friend of mine recently went through something similar. It's disappointing how little justice there can be for a spouse on whom another spouse has cheated.

What follows may or may not be what you want to read. However, please do not shoot the messenger. While I can control the quality of an answer, my control over the the content of an answer is restrained by the truth.

Unfortunately, it appears that Virginia does not recognize the tort of alienation of affection. Virginia
Family Code, Chapter 1.107. To my knowledge, the following states still recognize alienation of affection claims: Hawaii, Illinois, North Carolina, New Hampshire, Mississippi, New Mexico, South Dakota, and Utah.

However, if he has abandoned the marital home, that might assist you in seeking to keep the marital home in a divorce. It might also assist you in seeking child custody, if children are involved and are living with you.

I know this isn't what you want to read. However, it is the unfortunate truth that Virginia does not recognize alienation of affection any longer.

For any divorce proceeding, you'll want to retain a local attorney to protect your interests.

Please remember to click accept so that I will receive credit for my time and effort spent responding to your question. Bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

If you need additional clarification of this response, please ask a follow-up question and I will be happy to clarify.

Please click the green Accept Button and leave Positive Feedback so that I receive credit for answering your question. Bonuses are always greatly appreciated. I do not receive any payment at all from JustAnswer unless you click accept.

Please remember: Feedback is left for me as an answerer. Please do not shoot the messenger. My control over the content of the answer is limited by the restraint of truth.

No attorney-client relationship is formed through this correspondence. The following information provided for educational purposes only and is not legal advice/services. Correspondence through JustAnswer may be visible to the public. If you need legal advice/services you should seek, in person, a local attorney as soon as possible. You can find a local attorney at or