How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask NJ FamLaw Your Own Question
NJ FamLaw
NJ FamLaw, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 517
Experience:  Admitted to NJ Bar
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
NJ FamLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a United States citizen. My wife and I want to divorce.

Customer Question

I am a United States citizen. My wife and I want to divorce. I live in Colorado and she lives in Mexico. We never lived together as I was going to start to petition for her US residence but never got that started. How can I go about filing for a divorce when she is living outside the country?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  NJ FamLaw replied 7 years ago.

If she is acceptable to the divorce, you are going to have to get her to acknowledge service of the divorce complaint by signing for same in front of a notary public. Here is a great flowchart for the process


Instructions are here,


General steps in the process are here,


The fact that she does not live in the US should not impact you greatly, provided she wants the divorce as well. The problem becomes when she does not want the divorce and wants to frustrate the process.

NJ FamLaw and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you