NJ FamLaw
NJ FamLaw, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Admitted to NJ Bar

I am a United States citizen. My wife and I want to divorce.

Customer Question

I am a United States citizen. My wife and I want to divorce. I live in Colorado and she lives in Mexico. We never lived together as I was going to start to petition for her US residence but never got that started. How can I go about filing for a divorce when she is living outside the country?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  NJ FamLaw replied 6 years ago.

If she is acceptable to the divorce, you are going to have to get her to acknowledge service of the divorce complaint by signing for same in front of a notary public. Here is a great flowchart for the process

Instructions are here,

General steps in the process are here,

The fact that she does not live in the US should not impact you greatly, provided she wants the divorce as well. The problem becomes when she does not want the divorce and wants to frustrate the process.