Lawyer Lori
Lawyer Lori, Lawyer
Experience:  Divorce, custody and child support attorney.
15826124

Can the custodial parent claim childcare expence without having

Can the custodial parent claim childcare expence without having receipts for the courts. Her mother watches the child 3 hours a day. I was told she can charge an amount that I would be responsible for.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lawyer Lori replied 7 years ago.
Typically, childcare expenses are taken into consideration when calculating child support. The non-custodial parent may dispute the amount of child care expenses paid and the custodial parent will have to provide some proof that these payments are being made. A statement from the custodial parent's mother that she is watching the child and being paid $xx.xx would suffice for the court so long as that amount is reasonable. Actual copies of checks, etc. would not be required.

You would not be responsible for the full amount of childcare expenses, but a portion as would be calculated through the child support obligation worksheet.

While this may not be the answer you were hoping for, I hope that it answers your question.

Good luck.